Project to Production
Sample scenario. During the early phases of a project, perhaps just a phone call with an idea, the place to start is in MAGNET Enterprise.
It is common for the project manager, while still on the phone, to quickly launch a web browser and log in to their private Company Account using the MAGNET Enterprise website. Then open both the Data Manager and Map widgets.
Within the Map widget, simply type in a street address of where the project will be. Or at least close to where it will be. Then, with a crisp Google Earth satellite image in the background, zoom in and pan around to where you want to the geographic location of the Project to actually reference.
Four things to know about Projects within the MAGNET system:
- Projects have location. Common to start with a street address then graphically click anywhere on a map to declare a new project's location. ..perhaps over a building, over the pixel of where a control monument is, or in an open field where the project will commence. Click and go.
- Projects dictate permission. In a Company Account, not everybody see everything. Makes sense. Through a Project, managers can declare which co-workers will be associated / excluded. Those that are not associated will not even "see" the Project. Those that are, will instantly be able to collaborate from anywhere in the world.
- Projects are containers. Pretty straight forward here. Projects are similar to Folders within a computer's operating system where files can be stored and shared. Safe and secure Cloud storage to serve as a central repository for all team members.
- Projects drive a Real-Time session. Through the MAGNET system of software solutions, data can be collected at a project site and then streamed to any co-worker or manager anywhere in the world in real time. Real Time. If a robotic total station is spinning out angles and distances, or if a rover receiver is actively hosted within a Real Time GNSS Network, or if you are using your own base and rover RTK system. All data collection methods can steam data directly from the project site. Either managers or office technicians can then see three dimensional linework and point symbols appear instantly.
Over time, a manager is then able to quickly and graphically manage their projects using any web browser, within any computer, anywhere in the world.
New to MAGNET software? Then the MAGNET Enteprise website is the place to start!
Whether you have just purchased:
- MAGNET Field Solution software option that will provide your field controller with all modules of MAGNET Field data collection software, 12 months of software maintenance, as well as a single license for your Company Acccount
- MAGNET Office Tools upgrade from Topcon Tools that will leap you forward in software processing and reporting functionality
- MAGNET Field software stand-alone to drive a robotic total station with no intention of ever being on the internet. No cloud. Don't want the cloud. No problem.
Through any of the possible software purchase scenarios, the place to start is (say it with me) the MAGNET Enterprise website.
Begin by clicking the Create Company Account button and your own safe and secure environment is ready for you to easily activate your MAGNET software purchases. The obvious value here is that you can then ask questions, "How much of this MAGNET software have I purchased to date? When does it expire? Does it expire?, etc."
Easy and personal software management like never before!
Cloud Surfing to / from AutoCAD WS
The power of MAGNET is the easy ability to bring together project mangers, office staff, and field crews. What about sharing project data with other groups beyond that? Heh, check this out:
AutoCAD WS is a cloud-based CAD editor from Autodesk. It is available as a mobile app for iOS and Android and a web app version in your browser.
MAGNET Enterprise is a cloud-based project managment software service from Topcon. It is available using any web browser, any computer, anywhere in the world.
What if? ..what if the two "clouds" could be connected? Jumping from one cloud to another?
Yes! Just sign up for a no-cost account for AutoCAD WS, enter those credentials within MAGNET Enterprise, and you can seamlessly send your proejct data directly from the project site, through MAGNET Enterprise for a manager's review, and then out to AutoCAD WS where it can be shared to anyone in the world!
The new "normal" workflow then would be:
- Create a new Project within the MAGNET Enterprise website
- Tap the office staff to begin research of any existing control in the new project's area
- Compile all deeds, plats, and / or historical information
- Upload all supporting data into the Project's Inbox in the Cloud
- Send a Chat message to field crews notifying them where and when to be as well as what files to download
- Field crews log in, connect to the same Project, download all supporting files
- Measurements are taken at the project site using optical instruments and / or GNSS receivers
- A single file is uploaded from the field controller containing raw data, unlimited photo notes, geoid data, volume reports, surfaces, linework, points, symbols, descriptive notes, etc. ..all automatically done for you and compressed into a single compressed ZIP file. We call it a MAGNET Bundle File.
- The single ZIP file is uploaded from the field controller to the Project in the Cloud
- Using MAGNET Office Tools software, the office staff can download from the Cloud to their local machine to process and generate quality reports.
- The project manager can quickly review and see what was done, who did it and when, where measurements and stakeout was done, inspect volume reports, etc.
** Here is the Cloud surfing part **
- Still in MAGNET Enterprise and while looking at all three dimensional linework, points, and areas using a Google Earth satellite image background, the manager can click the View in AutoCAD WS button.
- Stand back. Cloud Surfing is then totally about to happen!
- MAGNET Enterprise will instantly gather all of the points as well as three dimensional linework and automatically convert to an Autodesk RealDWG format.
- All of the field measurements that were initially taken at the project site will be converted into a drawing file (DWG format) and opened within AutoCAD WS. ..slick.
With all of the points and three dimensional linework now available in AutoCAD WS, collaboration beyond your Company Account can begin. Simply click the "Share" button, type in e-mail address(es), declare permissions allowed, and send!
Directly from the project site, through MAGNET Enterprise (project manager's viewer), and out to AutoCAD WS. Just more of the many options that the MAGNET system of software is providing.
Cloud surfing? ..totally.